Friday, December 26, 2008

2008: The Year in Review

Well, the year is almost over so I thought like the President, I would give a report of the State of the Family. With only 5 days left I don’t think or at least I hope that nothing too great or disastrous is going to happen,

This past year has really been, by far, the year with the greatest series of events that this family has ever seen. Things started out so well with New Years and all the fun birthdays in January, Carrie and Roxie’s visit in February, and then I had to start it all with open heart surgery, with the panic that caused on the day Carrie was going back to California and all the anxiety of the following week or so.

We then started all the moving around. It reminded me of when the kids were all home and we had 9 cars in the driveway. Everyone had to move to let one out. Matt & Melanie, Jill & Mike, Kevin, and Eric and his family all moved during the summer. Thanks to those who DIDN'T move.

We had a great camp out at Cherry Hill in June when Carrie & Matt announced they were expecting. Really a surprise! We were just calming down from what when Carrie called and announced they were moving back to Utah. We were all excited to have them back in the State with the rest of the family.
Then in August, we were really shocked and surprised when Michael and Kathryn announced they were adopting a sweet little girl. That took days to calm down after that. In November, we go together to celebrate the birthdays and Esther was wearing a new bib that said, “I’m the big sister.” Yep, that’s right, Kathryn was expecting. A real shocker to everyone, even Michael and Kathryn. It’s a good thing they did a really good job on my heart.

Later in the month, Jill had her ear operation and in the first of December, Annette had an eye operation. Not simple ones either. We are glad that each was a success and they are healing well.

The last thing that happened was I lost my best and longest friend, Ellis. He died very suddenly and I will really miss his jokes and all the good times we had together. I had to speak at his funeral and it was a very hard thing to do.

So, we come the Christmas. We ended the year a lot like we started it; with a party. We had a great evening and enjoyed lots of good food and fun with the grand kids. They all got new PJ’s.

I really think that through all that happened this year, we are a very blessed family. I'm glad that I am still here and in good health because I could have missed all of it. Remember these things when you are saying your prayers at night because most of this, if not all, only happened through the divine guidance and intervention of an All Knowing Father. I hope you all have a very Happy New Year and a little calmer one this year.

2 comments:

Allie said...

Merry Christmas!! I remember when you would bring those candy-ish coated puffy things for a Christmas treat. They were yellow and we loved them! Here's to a brand new year, and I hope that this one is fantastic!!

mkmcneli said...

That was a great year in review. I would like to think that this next year will be less eventful but with such a large family I doubt it. Lets just hope we are ready for the ride. Happy New Year!